Monday, January 18, 2010

24 Hours of Radio Art Setlist

Pyra Draculea: 24 Hours of Radio Art set podcast

Well, this was the first year I got a slot on CiTR's annual 24 Hours of Radio Art. I played a few of my noise pieces, one of my songs which kinda of fit [maybe], and a long mash-up/collage I decided to call "The Obvious Thing To Do."

Noise pieces/collages/weird "songs" [I guess the terms vary based on your definitions]:
"Os Invidus"
"Dream Come True"
"Tim's Beneath My Feet"

"Os Invidus" and "Dream Come True" will be released on the triple EP I'm working on. "Tim's Beneath My Feet" I'll probably hold for another project, in the meantime it's up on my MySpace.

Mash-Up "The Obvious Thing To Do" includes parts of the following songs, plus some different samples I have:

Mormon Tablenacle Choir: selections from Handel's Messiah.
Anton Szandor LaVey: "Satanis Theme" Satan Takes A Holiday.
Sesame Street: "One of these things is not like the others."
The Electric Hellfire Club: "I Dream of Demons" from Electronomicon.
Nelson Eddy: "Ave Maria" The Lord's Prayer.
Boyd Rice: "Hatesville" Hatesville.
Duran Duran: "Notorious [Live Version]" from Do You Believe In Shame? 12".
Marilyn Manson: "Antichrist Superstar" from Antichrist Superstar.
Rocky Horror Show [Original Roxy Cast]: "Sweet Transvestite" from The Rocky Horror Show.
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult: "Kooler Than Jesus" from Kooler Than Jesus.
Boyd Rice: "Mr. Intolerance" from Hatesville.
Duran Duran: "Do You Believe In Shame?" from Do You Believe In Shame? 12".
Marilyn Manson: "I Don't Like the Drugs [But the Drugs Like Me]" from Mechanical Animals.
The Electric Hellfire Club: "Hymn to the Fallen" from Electronomicon.
Duran Duran: "Drug [Alternate Mix]" from Do You Believe In Shame? 12".
Raggedy Angry: "Chest Pains" from Pestilence.
Elvis Presley: "I Want You I Need You I Love You".

Inspired by the fact that my slot was on a Sunday morning. Also maybe a little bit of the notion of a religion becoming like a drug for some people.

People will probably get the wrong idea about the back half of that. And by people I mean any of my relatives Googling me looking for dirt.

Plus my parents have the weirdest record collection, albeit unintentionally so. Most of it's my music, though. [And my music collection is intentionally weird.]

Much of this stuff was messed up through a Behringer mixer, using its aux sends to go to a Big Muff distortion pedal and a separate send to a Guvnor overdrive. I was originally going to live mix prepared tracks on air, but then I got going on preparing those tracks and before you know it I was done.

And yeah, I realize the really obvious thing to do would be to juxtapose that Marilyn Manson track with a certain Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, but I didn't find all of my parents' vinyl collection, just a couple pieces. I swear by next year I'll have dug more of it up.

There were also Librivox recordings of public domain works: "A Freeman's Worship" by Bertrand Russell, "Of Truth" by Francis Bacon" and Humboldt's "Degrees of Enjoyment." And yes, I did swipe a sample from "Os Invidus." What can I say - I needed a guy saying something like "that's all I ask" in both.

There were also two songs: at the beginning CiTR's music director Luke Meat requested that I start with the Birthday Party's song "Happy Birthday." And at the end I had enough time to squeeze in a song of mine called "Lord of the Flies." In order to mess it up more for the noise/collage motif, I layered a couple of Controlled Bleeding LPs under it. I forgot to note which ones.

So, that's that. Until next year, back to your usual Vampire's Ball programming on Friday nights.

No comments: