Saturday, December 12, 2009

Playlist for December 12, 2009

So, few things piss me off more than when two bands have the same name and even the same album title and I think I'm buying one and not the other.

Not that that's necessarily the fault of the artists, though I would think in, say, 2008, you ought to maybe understand there's this thing called Google to check if there are any bands with your name in roughly a similar genre 20 years before that might already be well-known.

This happened with Numb and the album Numb. I bought [I thought] off of iTunes the one that was the Vancouver-based industrial band's debut and ended up with something completely different. Last.fm mentions three Numbs, however discogs.com lists five possible ones and none of them are released on Phoniclux Records out of Germany as the iTunes Numb was [it should be noted you can purchase the actual Vancovuer Numb by Numb on iTunes - looks for the one with the song "God Is Dead" to open the album and you'll have the right one].

I discovered this tonight while digging in the CiTR archives and finding the actual 1987 self-titled debut by Vancouver's Numb and realizing it has a different cover, different songs and a completely different sound.

Check the song listings on discogs.com or whatever to confirm. One came out on Phoniclux, a German electro/ambient label, the Vancouver-based band's album originally came out on Edge Records. Digging deep on the web has shown me that this album here came out in 2008, yet iTunes has given it the "album review" describing it as the 1987 debut of Vancouver's Numb.

Here's the review I posted onto iTunes:

I thought something was fishy when I heard this supposedly mid-80s industrial and it sounded very smooth and 90s/00s electronica-ish. Then as I heard more by the Vancouver-based Numb I was really confused as to how their sound was so much different from this album.

It's because it's not the same band - turns out there's at least 6 Numbs.

Now, don't get me wrong, whoever this is, it's cool, but if you want the band that did Christmeister, try the other album called "Numb" by Numb also for sale here on iTunes [or search for the song "Blue Light Black Candle"].

This album here is good, but it is not what the official album review makes it out to be and not what I thought I was buying.


Grr... well, I played stuff from the actual industrial band Numb's actual self-titled debut tonight. Along with the rest of this stuff:


23 Skidoo
From Just Like Everybody [1986]:
Kundalini
Vegas El Bandito
I Y
Just Like Everybody
Assassin
Coup


Numb
From Numb [1987, Edge Records]:
God Is Dead
Eat Me
Lies
Guilt


Severed Heads
From Hot With Fleas [1987, Nettwerk/Capitol]:
Hot With Fleas
Canine


Cabaret Voltaire
From I Want You [1985, Virgin Records]:
Drink Your Poison
C.O.M.A.
I Want You


Meat Beat Manifesto
From Armed Audio Warfare [1990, Wax Trax!]:
I Got the Fear
Kneel & Buzz
Kick that Man
Fear Version
Give Your Body Its Freedom


Podcast of part 1 of the Vampire's Ball for December 12, 2009.


KMFDM
From Split/Piggybank [1991, Wax Trax!]:
Split
Piggyback (Shock Version)


Pig
From A Poke With a Sharp Stick [1988, Wax Trax!]:
It Tolls For Thee (Pigsbreath)
Scumsberg
One For the Neck
Hildelinde
My Favorite Car


SPK
From Off the Deep End [1987, Nettwerk/Capitol]:
Kambuja
Off the Deep End


Keith LeBlanc
From Major Malfunction [1986, World Records]:
I'll Come Up With Something
Move
Technology Works Dub
You Drummers Listen Good


Hilt
From Call the Ambulance [Before I Hurt Myself] [1990, Nettwerk/Capitol]:
I'm Standing On the Rim
Back to Insanity


Project Pitchfork
From Eon:Eon [1998, Metropolis]:
Our Destiny
Dreamer
I Live Your Dream


Excessive Force
From Blitzkrieg [1993, Wax Trax!]:
Violent Peace
Blitzkrieg


Podcast of part 2 of the Vampire's Ball for December 12, 2009.


Post-show mix CD is Mix CD 1.


Upcoming Coolness:

iVardensphere: January 30th at Club 23 West (part of Sanctuary).


And now for my weekly end notes:

You can now subscribe to the Vampire's Ball on iTunes. Just search for "CiTR" and you'll find The Vampire's Ball listed along with 20 or so other cool shows here on CiTR Radio.

Or grab the podcast off of this page:

Podcast page for the Vampire's Ball.

You can email requests and comments to thevampiresball@gmail.com. You can also send me MP3 links if your stuff fits the show, or for old fashioned CD submissions, those can either be mailed to my post office box (see sidebar) or dropped off at CiTR Radio (or mailed c/o CiTR Radio. The address is in the sidebar of this blog.)

There's now a Facebook group for the Vampire's Ball. Join us!

Likewise, there is also now a MySpace page for the Vampire's Ball on CiTR.

As always, thanks for listening. Enjoy the show.

No comments: